Arts for All

Blog by Veronica Shunmugam - Malaysian, award-winning arts writer and former editor of Malaysia's leading arts and culture news website Kakiseni.com, and classical soprano.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Now is the month of Maying ...

... thus goes the opening of an English folk song I learnt for my first university choir performance, a full ten years ago now.

Everything (including my impactful uni years) starts happening in May. Or so it seems from where I sit, sifting through the tons of media kits and invites for art events that besiege my desk more than ever come each May.

It's like everyone wants to have an exhibition or performance in May and June! August and September seem to be the other two months when, more than ever, there is simply not enough newspaper space for the arts.

For one, there's the Singapore Arts Festival from end May onwards, and the upcoming Penang-YTL Arts Festival (sorry, guys, the link I got couldn't be opened and I haven't got anything in the mail yet ... hmm, Malaysia Boleh?).

This week is when I get cracking on a publicity feature for the Singapore Arts Festival; the folks down south are going more interactive than before, which I think is a superb way of reaching out to more people.

At the risk of sounding like an ad man for their (ooo ... jealous!) National Arts Council, I'd say it would be a good idea to check out their website and join in one of the real time chats with artists taking part.

At home, there's the second session of the Instant Cafe Theatre Playwriting Workshop that I'll be attending this weekend. The playwright-director-actor Nam Ron is "presiding" over this session. Can't wait.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was not a folk song, my dear..it was a madrigal

7:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home